You will want a registered dietitian nutritionist if you prefer learning healthy weight loss or expanded nutrition education. Many individuals choose a dietitian after other weight loss programs have failed. Majority of my client are referrals from successful clients. Other referrals are from physicians. Clients also choose a dietitian after learning they are prediabetic, diabetic, insulin resistant, have PCOS, or high cholesterol. When individuals have health issues, they may feel an urgency to seek the help of a qualified health professional such as a registered dietitian nutritionist. I am also able to work together with your physician when appropriate for specific nutrition and health needs.
The main difference between choosing a weight loss plan and a sports nutrition plan are:
- Typically sports nutrition consultations are fewer consultations. You may come one hour and then follow up one or two more times at a half hour each.
- The information is usually different. Sports nutrition is more about fuel (calories) and hydration for endurance events. Weight loss is more about giving a specific program or plan to follow.
- Weight loss clients almost always choose a follow up plan. The plan may be to come back weekly, bi weekly, or monthly.
- The initial consultation for both sports nutrition and weight loss is always one-hour.
- The follow up for weight loss, if weekly is 15-minutes, bi-weekly is 20 minutes and monthly is a half hour.
You are allowed to choose your own foods. The foods you choose will depend on why you are seeking services. Some clients will have specific foods to choose from while others will use a smartphone app to select their foods, with my guidance. Food selections will also vary due to health needs and desired goals. If choosing the Take Shape for Life program, clients will order specific meal replacement foods online.
There is not a need for cheat days. All clients are taught good nutrition education to skillfully choose to modify their programs or even maintain weight at times, rather than lose weight.
Client needs are treated individually; personalities, lifestyle and willingness to make healthy lifestyle changes help me determine which program to place you on, and how your habits can be improved. No one should feel they are making drastic changes. The approach used to achieve your goals, should be changes you can live with and continue for a lifetime.
As a dietitian, I will encourage exercise, but it is not required when seeking services. The benefits of exercise are taught and highly encouraged. Exercise offers excellent health benefits and my goal is to help clients choose an activity they may enjoy for many years to come.
Yes, your lifestyle changes for healthy eating are time manageable. Because your diet assessment is individual, I teach how to succeed based on your personal lifestyle and daily activities. If you feel you don’t have time to take care of your nutrition needs, we will work together to seek solutions, especially for you.